UM Dollars for Scholars
Apply HERE January 1 – March 1, 2024
The United Methodist Dollars for Scholars (UMDFS) program involves matching support from a student’s church, UMHEF, as well as participating United Methodist-related schools and UMC conference foundations. Awards may total up to $4,000!
How UM Dollars for Scholars Works
- A student’s church offers support with $1,000 (on a church check sent directly to UMHEF after the student has applied). Eligible churches include United Methodist Church, African Methodist Episcopal Church, AME Zion Church, and Christian Methodist Episcopal Church. If your church has recently disaffiliated from The UMC but would like to sponsor you, please contact us to discuss your options.
- UMHEF matches that for a total of $2,000 (while funds last).
- Participating United Methodist-related schools may match with $1,000.
- For United Methodist applicants, participating UMC Conference Foundations may match up to $1,000.
- Your UM Dollars for Scholars scholarship may total up to $4,000.
- Applicants must meet basic eligibility requirements found here; updated annually.
- You must apply annually to be considered for a scholarship each school year.
- Please note that some schools may not provide the same matching award to non-UM members or graduate students; check with your school to verify matching for your degree program.
- Doctoral students are not eligible for this award program.
Please Note: Funds are limited at each matching level, so awards and award totals are not guaranteed. Matched funds from participating schools and conference foundations listed here may vary and are not guaranteed. Each partner may have a limit to the number of awards they can match in any given year.
How to Apply
- Applications for the 2024-2025 academic year are open January 1 – March 1, 2024 HERE
- Talk with your sponsoring church about their initial $1,000 scholarship. Not sure how to start the conversation? Check out our conversation starter!
- For additional questions, please see our FAQ page before contacting us. Thank you!
For Churches Interested in Participating
This exciting award begins with the generous support of a student’s church! If you represent a United Methodist Church, African Methodist Episcopal Church, AME Zion Church, Christian Methodist Episcopal Church, or a church that has recently disaffiliated from The UMC and have questions about sponsoring a student/students, please contact our Director of Scholarships, Jamie Cook, or call 615-649-3990.