Applications Now Open!
Paying for college can be stressful. For many families, affording higher education is the number one factor when deciding which school a student will attend. UMHEF scholarships help make it financially possible for qualifying students to obtain higher education, especially those attending United Methodist-related institutions. In rare cases, awards are also given to students attending other schools.
Last year, UMHEF awarded more than $2 million to nearly 1,000 students!
UMHEF Scholarship Programs
- United Methodist Dollars for Scholars Program
- General Named Endowed Scholarships
- Special Scholarships
All students must meet the following criteria for the 2023 application season, which is open January 1, 2023 through March 1, 2023 (exceptions apply):
- Must be an active, full member of The United Methodist Church, African Methodist Episcopal Church, AME Zion Church, or Christian Methodist Episcopal Church for at least one year prior to applying. If your church has disaffiliated from The UMC and you have received a UMHEF award in the past, please contact us about reapplying.
- Preference is given to students enrolled or planning to enroll in a full-time degree program (graduate or undergraduate) at a regionally accredited United Methodist-related college, university, or seminary in the United States. A list of these schools can be found here. In rare cases, students attending non-UM-related schools may also be awarded.
- For those applying for the UM Dollars for Scholars program, you must be attending a school that participates in the program.
- At this time, Doctoral (including PhD and any other doctorate-level program) candidates are not eligible.
- International students, for which a very limited amount of scholarship funds are available, may apply using this International Student Application for students outside of the US. Preference is given to international students attending UM-related schools within the US.
- If your church has recently disaffiliated from The United Methodist Church, and you have been awarded a UMHEF scholarship in the past, please contact us to discuss opportunities.
Other Important Notes:
- Students may receive only ONE scholarship from UMHEF per year.
- Students may apply for both of our main scholarships (General Named Endowed and UM Dollars for Scholars) and will receive the largest award for which they qualify.
- All awards are made for the fall term each year.
- UMHEF will transfer award funds to the recipient’s school in the fall after verification of full-time enrollment is received. It is the recipient’s responsibility to request and ensure that their registrar’s office sends verification of their enrollment to UMHEF no later than October 1. A reminder about this requirement is sent with award notifications.
- Award checks are typically mailed out by mid-November.
- Learn more on our FAQs page.
- Scholarships offered by UMHEF are separate from those offered by the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry (GBHEM).You are welcome to apply for both, but must apply for ours using a UMHEF application. You can only receive one scholarship from UMHEF per year.